Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Mushumba and Muganga Arrive

As it turns out, Africa is a HUGE continent.  The last leg of the flights from Europe to Rwanda is not to be underestimated.  28 hours after we started our travel, we arrived in Kigali (that's pronounced 'Chigari').  You will be getting lessons in Kinyarwandan throughout my time here.

Nathan and Esther were at the airport to pick us up and they took us for an "American meal" before bringing us to the place we are living for 2 months.   It's a wonderful house which we have all to ourselves - 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 offices (one for Ryan to spend time writing, one for me to keep all of my medications and equipment in), living room, kitchen, 2 giant peacock-looking birds wandering the front yard (our pets for the next couple months- we named them both Kevin after the bird in 'Up') and a very helpful house-boy named Pierre who has been taking great care of us.  His English is about as good as my Kinyarwandan.  Yeah...there's a bit of a breakdown in our communication, but we are getting by with hand signs, loud repetition of the words neither of us are familiar with, and trying out different sentences in our respective language in hopes that something clicks.  It hasn't clicked yet. Today, in my attempt to speak Kinyarwandan without my translation guide, I yelled "TOMORROW"  instead of thanking him for turning on the hot water.  

Nathan picked us up this morning and took us to tour two of his schools.  He must be a very busy man.  They were fantastic.  The younger kids all ran up to hug us, shake our hands, and say "how are you?"  A few of them wanted to touch our skin just to make sure we were real.  We are in fact real - we have the jet lag to prove it.  The older kids mostly stared from inside their classrooms where I overheard lectures of calculus logarithms and the Ideal Gas Law. 

As Ryan and I were introduced to several teachers, school administrators, and other important adults, I could tell (from my small Kinyarwandan vocabulary bank) that I was being introduced as the Mushumba's wife (mushumba = pastor).  Evidently that title holds much higher esteem in African society than Muganga (doctor- which is what I am considered here).  At first I was a little put-out but then I just decided to roll with it, which is really the best attitude to handle just about everything over here.  Hakuna Matata.  No seriously.  Its for real out here.

Now its nighttime.  Ryan and I are going to play cards and listen to the crickets.  We should probably head to bed soon so we can get some sleep before the Kevins begin their early morning calling which sounds like something between a moo and a chirp.  









3 comments:

  1. So glad you guys made it! It sounds like you guys are perfectly setup already. Have fun getting over the jet lag and playing charades with the locals!
    Oh, and keep posting!

    Kristen (on Matt's account)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are the most fearless DIL ever and I so look forward to your blog as you bring us along on your journey....love you and holding you in prayer -

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan to live vicariously through your blog over the next weeks. What an amazing adventure ya'll are on - one that will bring many blessings to everyone involved. Be safe. We will be praying for you both without ceasing!

    ReplyDelete