Saturday, March 5, 2011

Kurira (to cry)

The students here are sponges for information.  They are so hungry for it that they believe everything that they hear.  Unfortunately, they have come to believe the he said she saids that have been passed around their community.   
Fortunately, I was able to provide them with some medical truths that I am optimistic will also be passed along.

I met with the secondary school girls again on Thursday.  We had some serious woman to woman discussions.  In fact, I’m blushing just thinking about some of the words that came out of my mouth.  My presentation included puberty, feminine hygiene, conception, abstinence, and what it means to be in healthy Godly relationships with men.  They had questions on anatomy, abortion, and if you could lose your virginity riding a bicycle or wearing thong underwear.  The day before I promised them I would bring a tampon for them to see and so I did.  None of them had ever seen one – or heard of them.  It was a huge hit.  Lots of giggling and questions. 

(I’m sorry to the men reading this – but Ryan gave fair warning as to the possible content of my blog!)

Then yesterday, Friday, I went back to the school and was available for the girls to meet with me one on one.  Most of them have never met with a doctor before.  Ever.  I spent a couple of hours and met with 10.  Most had similar questions about their anatomy and concerned that they might be sick.  They are actually quite healthy and their problems are all very normal (and not problems at all), but they have never had anyone give them that information.  I think a few were bummed that I couldn’t make it go away.  Oh well, they will have to accept the “joys” of being a woman.

I had a few really tough cases.  One girl really touched my heart.  She was a translator for several of the other girls that came to me, so I was already familiar with her.  Her English is fantastic.  She is so bright.  I’m pretty sure she is the one that answered my question about germs a few days back.  As she told me her story, I just sat across from her and wept with her.  This is the girl that has it all together.  Top of her class.  Beautiful.  Funny.  Strong.  And yet a victim of a string of terrible events.  She has held these haunting memories inside for over 16 years, never having told anyone – until now.  I gave her the medical information she needed to know, promised her I would do some research on local resources for her to use, and gave her my phone number.  I told her I wasn’t trained to do any counseling like she needs, but I would be happy to sit, listen, and cry with her (for the next 2 months anyways…)

Her story is devastating.  In fact, it’s your worst nightmare.  Unfortunately, there are millions with very similar stories.  Our friend Pierre who lives with us has a heartbreaking story behind the singing and whistling he does while he happily serves our helpless selves.  (Hopefully we can learn his story soon.  Right now I can only communicate short sentences like “I can’t unlock the door” and “we go buy water.”)

I wish I could heal their brokenness and make their pains go away.  But I know I can’t, so I will be grateful for the opportunity to cry with them.

On a super happy note – my dad is currently on the flight from Brussels to Kigali.  He will get in late tonight.  Monday we will be heading off to Akagera for a 4-day safari adventure followed by a few days in Ruhegeri to see silverback gorillas and golden monkeys.  Yee-haw.


No comments:

Post a Comment